Critique Essay Topics
Writing critique essays is part and parcel of the academic life of every student. To make life easier, tutors often provide topics for such assignments. But what to do if there is no exact theme? Finding the best topic that would earn you a good grade can be challenging. That’s why our team of experienced writers have compiled six topic lists in six different areas. What’s more, we have also provided the most important recommendations to help you craft a good paper. Please, do not forget that you need to have a clear understanding of the piece or approaches to a particular issue that you are going to evaluate. So, you need to choose the subject of your work carefully. Finally, you can use the info below several times to write multiple critique essays throughout the learning process.
Critique Essay Topics on Literature Studies
- Irony and its presentation in classical literature
- Feminist ideologies presented in modern literary masterpieces: Common features
- The role of the author’s background in creating a real masterpiece
- Allegory in the Shakespearean sonnets
- Describe the secondary heroes in your most favorite piece of literature
- Describe the secondary heroes in your most favorite classical book
- Metaphors, similes, and other stylistic devices used in modern poems
- Describe the application of different viewpoints (first / second / third person) in a specific piece of literature
- The effectiveness and role of imagery in the fairy tales
- How was black humor utilized in the literature of the 20th century?
- The Canterbury Tales and the role of the collection in the development of English Literature
- Evaluate the build-up of a specific novel and how it transitiones to its climax
- What is your favorite genre of literature: Specific features
Critique Essay Topics about Films and TV
- Choose any novel or story you have recently read, and compare it to the screen version
- Why are the media shows very popular today worldwide?
- Describe the leading themes in the modern TV shows and movies
- Conduct an analysis of the film by considering the takeaway points described in it
- What are the “humorous topics” portrayed in modern mass media?
- Conduct a comparative analysis one of the most popular cooking shows in the UK
- Classic movie remakes: Pros and cons
- Conduct a detailed analysis of one of the best cooking shows in the UK
- What aspects make an astounding drama series?
- Choose one of the ‘all-times’ best films and explicate how it presents today’s pop-culture
- Make an analysis of one of your favorite romantic comedies
- Watch an educational movie and dwell on its importance to students
- Examine the leading character of a comic book based on its film adaptation
- Choose a series / film that has won an Oscar this year
- Choose the most popular reality TV series and analyze it in detail
- Make an analysis of one of the popular game shows
Critique Essay Topics on Social Issues
- The effectiveness of the judicial system of the USA in its struggle against different drugs
- The effectiveness of media in solving such issues as illiteracy and poverty in the developing countries
- Choose one of the social issues that have been taking forever to find an effective solution to it. Suggest your own considerations on how to do this in the most effective way.
- The war in the Middle East: How to stop it
- The US Military spending: Is it necessary to cut down the budget?
- Racism in the US police system
- Racism in the US judicial system
- Evaluate the long-lasting impacts of colonialism that have been experienced worldwide
- Suggest your alternatives to anti-poverty programs that different governments could apply to handle this issue
- Examine why some of the governmental policies are ineffective in the USA
- Examine why obesity is considered one of the burning issues in different parts of the world
- Pros and cons of healthy food
- Junk or fast food: Advantages and disadvantages
- Pros and cons of the legalization of marijuana in the USA
Critique Essay Topics about Economics
- The efficiency and effectiveness of the US economic system
- The role of the stock market in the lives of ordinary people in the USA
- What are the pros and cons of new online currencies applied nowadays by different financial institutions?
- The efficiency and effectiveness of the German economic system
- Analyze any type of economic change in your community and its effectiveness
- Discuss how an ordinary student can use their budget effectively
- The efficiency and effectiveness of the UK economic system
- Choose one of economic problems discussed on social media and suggest effective ways or measures to solve it
- What are the key economic benefits of modern recycling applied in the USA or any other country?
- Global warming and carbon emissions: What effective measures should be implemented worldwide?
- The effects of the international relationships on economic relationships between the USA and China
- Economic crises: Common features
Critique Essay Topics on History
- The 5th amendment and its influence on the US judicial system
- The US history from a realistic point of view
- Choose one of your favorite ‘US historical landmarks’ and explain why it is your favorite one
- The greatest and most influential wars in the history of the humankind: Similarities and differences
- Choose a state which history you are interested in and explain your point of view
- Discuss how different influential politicians are portrayed in films
- What ideologies can be seen in different historical films
- Choose one of the movies devoted to the history of your country / city / town / community. Is it close to reality?
- The effects of historical films on people’s points of view
- Describe one of the historical documentaries that you have recently watched. Why is it worth seeing?
- Choose one of your favorite historical series and explicate what makes it so special or unique
- What are the leading themes in popular historical figures description (e.g. Martin Luther King, Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher)
- Choose one of the most favorite historical books of yours and conduct its critical analysis
- The Project Bluebook: Hidden facts of the US History
- Pros and cons of disclosing secret information hidden by the governments worldwide
Critique Essay Topics about Environment
- The effectiveness and efficiency of current green and clean campaigns/projects in your own town / city / country in eliminating the impact of global warming of nature
- Choose one of the most popular environmental TV shows and explain its educational significance to the young generation
- Global warming: Key causes and most effective solutions
- Describe one of the everyday routines that you consider can contribute to decreasing carbon footprints
- Explain how different types of social media can help in disseminating “green and clean ideology”
- Make an analysis of the up-to-date innovations that help in reducing environmental pollution in your city / town / country
- Discuss the most dangerous type of pollution in your town, city or country
- Critique one of the environmental policies that you consider ineffective
- Choose what alternatives can be used instead of the pesticides in today’s agriculture
- GMOs: Advantages and disadvantages
- Historical technological advancements that could assist in solving the issue of global warming
How to Write a Critique Essay?
A critique essay is one of the common academic tasks assigned to students. Basically, it is a written analytical response to some work (a book, an article, a movie). Before you write a critique essay, you need to study material thoroughly. Indeed, you need to dedicate enough attention to both the prewriting and writing stages as it will help you reach the desired outcome easier. How to write a critique essay? Below, you will find a detailed critique essay guide on what should be done exactly in order to create a brilliant critique essay. Follow our suggestions and you will be able to impress the most demanding teacher.
Before you start working on your essay, you need to examine the piece thoroughly. If you are writing an article critique, you need to read the article, probably even twice. Such a professional attitude will help you understand the author’s arguments better and analyze the approach suggested in the article thoroughly. When you are done with reading, brainstorm your ideas. This process will help you understand what points you are going to discuss in your essay. So, when brainstorming, make sure to answer the following questions:
- What kind of article are you analyzing? Is this article descriptive, analytical, informative?
- What are the author’s main findings? Do they have any theoretical and practical value? Are there any controversial moments? Do you think that the writer discussed the topic thoroughly? Are there any limitations?
- Did the author use some outside sources? Do you think that these sources are appropriate? Why?
- What questions are addressed in the article? What would you change if you were an author? What issues remained unaddressed?
- Are there any biases in the article? Are there any contradictions in the author’s argumentation?
- What do other scholars say about the author? Is his/her opinion worth attention?
If you do not know how to write a critique essay, you need to find examples on the web in order to understand how such a paper should look like. In particular, you will figure out what aspects should be included in your critique, how to organize your paper, how to format it properly, and many other substantial details. We assure you that using the great samples for your writing inspiration is a good strategy that will help you to succeed.
When you are done with the prewriting stage, it’s time to start writing a critique essay. So, make sure to dedicate enough time to write your essay following the suggestions given below:
- Take your notes and make up an outline in which you will indicate all the ideas that will be analyzed in your critique. We recommend you to focus on two or three main aspects and discuss them in detail.
- Start writing your essay following the classic essay structure. Begin with an interesting introduction in which you will present your piece to the target audience and provide your reader with the background information if necessary. The first paragraph of your critique essay serves for introducing your source to the reader. Then, you need to write the main body in which you will discuss your source in detail. Make sure to be objective and support your arguments with credible evidence. If you want to include some of the author’s ideas, do not forget to cite them in accordance with the formatting style requested by your teacher. Finally, the last paragraph of your essay is a conclusion that should summarize the key points discussed in your article.
- When the paper is written, take some time to revise it. Make sure all the professor’s requirements are covered and your paper is totally free from grammatical, spelling, and punctuation flaws. We assure you that only by applying a professional approach, you will be able to impress your teacher and reach the anticipated outcome.
In case you are allowed to choose the piece for critiquing, pick up the article that fits your research interests. Your words will have more value if you analyze the article on the subject you specialize in.
Use our lists of critical response essay topics but do not forget that you can slightly change the subject of your work for it to be in line with your interests. For instance, we offer you to write about the pros and cons of classic movie remakes. Meanwhile, you can modify the task to evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of horror movies that are based on earlier productions, in case you are fond of this film genre. Critiquing essays are hard to compose, but the following checklist of do’s and don’ts will help you to stay on the right track.
Critique Paper Do’s and Don’ts
In its essence, a critique essay makes an attempt to analyze the specific literary work in a maximally objective way. To get a good grade for your paper, you need to provide a detailed examination of the main themes suggested by the author, his or her arguments, and well as other aspects, you find interesting about the topic.
• Be objective when criticizing the article. When critiquing the author’s approach, do not forget to suggest reasonable arguments for your words.
• Treat this assignment seriously. Pay attention that this task is a perfect opportunity for you to demonstrate your writing and critical-thinking skills. Impress your professor with a creative approach to work and get the desired outcome.
• Proofread your critique essay before submission. We assure you that the obvious grammatical flaws will significantly compromise the quality of your paper.
• Don’t ignore your instructions. If you are asked to write your paper in APA formatting style, make sure to follow this requirement. Remember that your professor will assess your paper in accordance with the grading rubric;
• Don’t be biased. Remember that each of your arguments should have enough evidence;
• Don’t be late. Keep in mind that late submission often results in a penalty. Even if your paper is just great, late submission will spoil your grade.
Hopefully, our suggestions helped you understand how to write a critique essay. Good luck!
assignments and forget about deadlines
You may find these useful:
Scholarship Essay TopicsAnalytical Essay TopicsPersonal Essay Topics