Personal StatementQuite often, students face difficulties when writing a paper that supports their application to study in a college or university. They want to succeed, but they usually do not know where to start and what to include in the document. To make things worse, the APA format for personal statements confuses the applicants. They are unsure of the formatting aspects that should be surely considered while crafting the work. A friend of mine once complained that in his work he had to show who he really was, without egoistical claims; at the same time, he had to sound confident but not too self-reliant. In addition, he had to present an engaging opening sentence. On top of that, he had to visit the library to find out about the APA format for personal statements. “Is it really possible?” he wondered. Yes, it is. In this article, you will find all the needed info to craft a good paper and to be enrolled in the desired program.
How to Start a Personal Statement: Expert Hints and TipsWriting a personal statement is a must when you apply to a certain college or university. This paper has to introduce you in the best way so that the application officers could say, “Wow, he/she should definitely become our student!”
When sharing information about yourself, you should emphasize your skills, qualifications, and competencies that are making you a good fit for this position.However, if you do not know how to start a personal statement, feel free to read our simple guide that will help you boost your writing talent. Before starting the writing process, reflect upon your experiences, both personal and professional, to understand which ones should be described in your paper. Make some notes that will serve as the guideline for your work. When the notes are ready, create a simple outline. It will help you to organize your thoughts and define the structure of your personal statement. Then, you may start writing. When developing your notes into well-structured sentences, do not forget to use vivid language. For instance, the sentence “I always wanted to become a nurse” is rather vague. To express your interest in nursing, you may say: “I always considered a nursing career as the instrument for doing good for people, as well as reaching the inner balance. That is why this field is a perfect fit for my career goals and interests.” Keep in mind that your narrative story should stand out from other stories. Therefore, you need to make according language choices. There should be no slang, no profanity, no inappropriate jokes, etc. Moreover, you need to pay attention to the overall tone of your message. As such, we recommend you stay confident without seeming arrogant.
To bring you the expected result, your personal statement should be very interesting and engaging. We assure you that the application officers are tired of looking through the standard application papers. To make your statement truly outstanding, you need to present your candidacy from different perspectives. Keep in mind that your personal statement is your opportunity to introduce yourself and influence the decision of the admission committee.Your personal statement opening lines should be funny, personal, and engaging. They should also contain some “hook” that will grab the reader’s attention and make them read your story until the very last line. You can start your introduction by describing some of your previous experiences in an engaging way, telling an anecdote, or writing a quote that characterizes you. In any way, keep in mind that your introduction should be well-written because it starts your personal statement. The personal statement introduction is always followed by the main body, in which you will explain your interest in this educational institution and tell the application committee what helped you make this choice. In this section, you also need to talk about your experiences in detail. However, you do not need to include everything you remember from your childhood and adolescence. Make sure to select two or three of the most meaningful episodes and explain how they influenced the development of your personality. Divide your main body into several paragraphs and make sure to discuss one episode per paragraph. Finally, when writing your conclusion, you should restate your motivation and express your gratitude for reviewing your statement.
Common Personal Statement Tips
- Try to make your personal statement appealing and persuasive.Keep in mind that your goal is to convince the application committee that your skills, interests, qualifications, and hobbies are a good fit for this particular educational institution.
- Emphasize your scientific interests.You need to show that you are a determined and goal-oriented person ready to broaden your horizons and push the limits. After all, being a great student is not only about the studying. A great student is a leader, who inspires and motivates others, gradually moving to reach short-term and long-term goals.
- Please, note that every program has its own requirements.Even personal statements can have different titles such as “Statement of Purpose” or “Admission Essay.” If you want to reach success with your paper, you should not only make it engaging and appealing but also follow the requirements precisely.
Three Elements of a Good StartBasically, the opening of your personal statement should include the following parts:
- The Why Part: Start by explaining the situation that made you think about your future career. For instance, if you want to be a nurse, present some episode from your childhood when you failed to help someone because of a lack of knowledge and skills.
- The Surprise Part. The shocking personal statement opening lines are always good in attracting the reader’s attention. For instance, when writing an essay about being a vegetarian, you may start it with the words, “Since childhood, I was taught to be a killer.”
- The Confession Part. We assure you that by revealing some personal info about yourself, you establish warm relations with your reader on the basis of trust.
Common APA Personal Statement Format GuidelinesSo, how do you format a personal statement? Students are often puzzled by the fact that this kind of paper should be in line with APA rules. Of course, this is not research work and not a doctoral dissertation so you do not need to present a running head. Similarly, there will be no reference or abstract pages. Meanwhile, some aspects should be considered while formatting a personal statement:
- Your paper should be double-spaced unless your instruction requires something else;
- Your text should have one-inch margins at the top, bottom, left, and right sides;
- The first word of every paragraph in your personal statement should be indented one-half inch.
- The APA requires using Times New Roman size 12 font.
Personal Statement for Residency: Common RulesA residency personal statement should answer the following questions:
- What specifically draws you to the chosen area? Keep in mind that you should clearly understand the specific features of your personality and your motivation should be very strong;
- What qualities or skills will help you succeed during residency? (Do you have good communication skills? Do you have specific skills that will help you deal with patients? Do you have efficient leadership skills or experience in research?);
- What are the specific attributes that will help you in the chosen position? Why is your candidacy a good fit for residency training?
- What are your long-term goals? What setting you are going to practice in? What kind of professional nurse you are going to become?
- Are you a team player? Can you make important decisions when the situation demands? What can your colleagues tell about you?
- If you are applying to a specific program, make sure to explain what attracts you to this program.
How to Make a Personal Statement Interesting and Convincing?If you do not know how to write a residency personal statement, let us provide you with effective techniques that will help you create an outstanding piece. All in all, writing a personal statement for residency may be rather challenging especially if you do not possess a set of good writing and research skills. However, practice makes perfect! Follow our advice and become a good personal statement writer!
Peculiarities of Writing a Personal Statement which Best Reflects YouThe steps to writing an effective personal statement are:
- choose a suitable topic in which you are interested;
- grab the attention of your audience;
- show the aim behind your chosen topic;
- read your paper aloud.
- Pay attention to the requirements. All personal statements need to be crafted and adjusted according to the requirements of each school. If you mention details like why the program interests you the most, you are welcome to include some specific facts about this program. Admission officers will see that you are indeed interested in the enrollment and carried out research to learn more about this educational establishment.
- Details about your personality should be mentioned. A graduate school application process is oftentimes difficult to go through because one has to mention some key details about his/her personality. Some students think “I do not have any prominent features that make me better than others” or anything of this sort, but it is actually not true. You simply have to brainstorm the most engaging situations that influenced your growth. You can show that your worldview was shaped with, for example, one strange occurrence on the bus. Try not only to enumerate the facts from your life but also relate them to your experience and the formation of personal opinions.
- Show that you are a goal-oriented person. While reading your personal statement, admission officers must feel that you are highly committed to reaching your goals. Show them that you have a direction that guides you towards pursuing some professional qualities. At the same time, you must mention that you are an open-minded person that is always eager to learn something new, no matter how difficult it will be. Here you have to reach the “golden mean” – do not sound too confident that you will definitely overcome all studying hurdles but show that you will go to great lengths to cope with them.
- All writing directions must be strictly followed. Professional application paper should include the exact number of words that were mentioned in the requirements. If you was asked to write 900, do not make it 901. This one excessive word will show that you are not able to adhere to the basic writing requirements. Admission officers are not high school teachers who will put an A+ regardless of some small paper flaws.
- Avoid long sentences. Do not include too long sentences because you have to prioritize the content. Usually, personal statements are short, but you will have to include a big number of details. Therefore, get rid of some overly elaborate sentences that do not reflect any significant value.
- Introduction must catch the reader’s attention. You can write about a funny situation from your life that will interest the reader. However, too personal/emotional details must be excluded because the personal statement writing presumes a high degree of formality.
- Answer the questions from the application form. Some students ask, “What is a personal statement?” or “How to write main body paragraphs in a personal statement?” The main body paragraphs should provide answers to the questions mentioned in the application form. If you were not given this questionnaire, you have to mention personal and academic experiences.
- Main ideas should be summarized in the ending. The key discussed aspects from the main body paragraphs should be summarized in the conclusion. In addition, you can also mention how the desired job position will help you attain professional goals.
Statement of Purpose vs. Personal Statement
Statement of Purpose
Includes the student’s personal motivation for applying to the specific educational institution. Explains how the applicant developed his/her research interests. Indicates relevant experiences, challenges, or accomplishments.
Includes information about academic background, skills, research interests, as well as career goals. Explains why the applicant is interested in a certain program.
Level of Formality
The typical length for both essays is approximately 1-3 double-spaced pages
Personal StatementA personal statement is a biography-type paper. When working on this piece, you need to include information about your previous experiences and current research interests. Such an essay should sound appealing and engaging proving that you are a good fit for the chosen program. A good personal statement should focus on the applicant’s personal accomplishments, as well as academic strengths that may help the applicant become a valuable asset in the chosen college or university. Moreover, this paper should clearly explain what has helped the applicant to make such a choice. Providing the admission committee members with information about relevant life experiences, you will be able to write a winning personal statement. As for the tone, it is usually not formal.
Statement of PurposeThis paper is similar to a cover letter. Although you may start with an introduction that is less formal, the overall tone of your paper should be rather formal. Such an essay focuses on specific career interests, as well as the reasons why you can succeed in the chosen position. Basically, you need to explain why are you going to pursue a career in the specific field and what professional qualities will help you to do that.
Key DifferencesMany students often confuse these two papers, though it is not quite right. Whereas both of these essays should talk about your interest in the specific position, they usually contain different information. The statement of purpose highlights the academic background, mentioning the key accomplishments and career goals. In other words, you need to explain why you are a good fit for a specific position. A personal statement, on the contrary, focuses mainly on what kind of person you are and what personal skills will help you reach the desired outcome. A vast majority of programs will ask you to submit only one of the essays. However, there are some structured programs that will require both of them. So, let us summarize: When working on a personal statement, you need to:
- Tell your personal story;
- Indicate your motivation;
- Explain what challenges you had to overcome to understand your career aspirations.
- Explain your future career goals;
- Research information about the specific educational institution and career opportunities offered there;
- Explain why you are a good match for this academic environment;
- Make an emphasis on your accomplishments.
UC Personal Statement Example
Personal Statement Written by an Expert WriterThe best way to submit a brilliant personal statement is to hire an experienced writer, who will create a brilliant masterpiece following your guidelines and recommendations. If you are looking for a reliable place to buy a personal statement, consider choosing our professional service as we are the number one provider of high-quality personal statement writing assistance. Cooperation with Writing-Service.org has multiple benefits! The most important thing you should know about our writing platform is that we are truly reliable. Always keeping our promises, we strive to demonstrate excellence in everything we do. What is more, our personal statement help online is absolutely affordable for every budget. We guarantee that there will be no hidden costs when you buy personal statement here because we highly respect all our clients and want them to return to us again.
Get Premium “Write My Personal Statement” Writing Assistance at Writing-Service.org!We always provide our customers with original content because only authentic papers can bring them the best results. We assure you that the admission committee members are sick and tired of reading dozens of standard essays copy-pasted from the web. If you want to get accepted to the desired educational institution, you need to submit a truly creative paper that shows your best strengths. Having many years of experience in academic writing, our experts know how to create such essays. Placing your order here with the words “I need help writing a personal statement”, you can be sure that your piece will be written in accordance with the highest academic standards set by the scholars. We do understand that by buying your paper online, you may worry a lot. Thus, we try to do everything possible to eliminate your stress. For instance, our support managers are ready to answer your questions and address your concerns 24/7. No matter what kind of assistance you need, you can always contact us with the words “I need your help with my personal statement” and we will handle the rest!
Why Hire Our Writing Team?Being the leading writing service, we hire only the most skilled, talented, and proficient writers, who can tackle academic assignments of different levels of complexity. Cooperation with such seasoned professionals will help you boost your writing proficiency as you will learn a lot of helpful tips that may turn an ordinary essay into a creative masterpiece. Besides, we highly respect all our clients and appreciate their trust. Therefore, we provide all of them with great discounts that help them economize their savings significantly. Each paper we deliver is carefully checked by the quality assurance manager to make sure it is truly flawless. However, if you need to have your personal statement revised, you should just contact us with a revision request, and we will make the necessary corrections right away. Responsible and diligent, we are able to cope with the most urgent tasks. Even if you want to get your personal statement within three hours, just place your order now and we will deliver it on time because timely delivery is one of our firm guarantees. All in all, we guarantee that you will never regret your “help me write my personal statement” request! Buy personal statement here and we will help you reach your academic goals!
Let us take care of your writing
assignments and forget about deadlines
assignments and forget about deadlines